Friday, March 30, 2012

Banned ads

ads that never were



I believe that when it comes to having ads for politicians, there should be certain regulations of what can be said and what should not be said. After seeing some of these never before seen ads, I am glad that they were never aired on television. In a way, you should not be able to attack another candidate on an ad because it is rude.  I dread election years because of the commercials; they are obnoxious by the end of the political season. It seems like every five seconds, there is an ad on. Most of the time these ads are bashing another candidate and not discussing the candidate whose commercial it was in the first place which makes them look bad. For many this is not a big deal because they do not really pay attention to politics to begin with, but for me, it bothers me. As a political science major I want to know what a candidate stands for and not what they think another candidate did wrong. To me this is showing you are a coward, and cannot sell what you believe in instead you are hiding behind someone else’s mistake hoping it makes you look good.

 It also makes me wonder about how much they pay the celebrities that might go on there to promote them. Like in one of the commercials that were never aired it shows Ben Stein bashing Al Gore, and it is in the setting like he was in the Ferris Bueller movie. To me the whole thing is a disgrace, and both the celebrities and the politicians should be ashamed of themselves.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I agree with you. I don't want to listen to them bash on another candidate, I'd rather hear what they are standing for and what their beliefs are. I don't want to know their opinion on other candidates but more about them personally. For exmaple if you look at Mitt Romneys facebook and twitter, all his posts and tweets are talking bad about Obama. Obviously candidates are going to make a comment here and there about who they're running against but once it's said and done leave it and move on to what's important.

burke012 said...

I agree that negative ads are bothersome and are quite frankly a disgrace at times. However, to put restrictions on them in my opinion is unconstitutional. It goes against everything our country was found on. I do not like negative ads, but that is the risk they take when making them, that they will not be received well by all voters. It is something that should most definitively be taken into consideration when picking your candidate because it reflects the moral quality of that politician. But, I could never support something which limits political debate and free speech because what if there is really a point to the ad and it is not simply an attack? Where do you draw the line? And who makes these decisions?

As for actors, and celebrities appearing in these anti ads, I am with you in annoyance. The public needs to recognize that these are not politicians and their vote carries the same weight as any American.

Amanda Brochu said...

I can see what you are saying about the free speech, because it is true that we do need to protect our constitutional rights. It is hard to say who would make these decisions I hope that somebody would though.

Unknown said...


mpressive article dude! Many thanks
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants-7.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants-6.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants-5.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants-4.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants-3.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants-2.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/anti-black-ants.html