Tuesday, May 15, 2007

New Poll Shows 70% of Americans Support Uniform License Standards

A new poll shows that 70% of Americans support the introduction of national standards for driver's licenses under the Real ID Act. The poll was UPI/Zogby survey of 6,000 Americans across the country. Surveyed adults that considered, or labeled, themselves as conservatives and moderates supported the law the most at 84% and 75% respectively. On the other hand, 51% of libertarians and 49% of progressives oppose the law. These numbers were not that surprising to me. I am not sure where I stand on the issue. This is clearly a controversial issue; however, you must be careful not to jump to conclusions when looking at the poll numbers.

Washington Times Article

2 comments:

Bigboy13 said...

I think this would be an issue that many different interest will be lobbying for. By having a uniform drivers liscense it will be easier for people to interpret the liscense. You can drink at 21, but if your going to another state often they do no know how to check ids from other states. By having a uniform ID will allow this process to be simplified. This is why my groups like Budweiser or wine growers I feel will support this as it will support the sale of their products.

KCole84 said...

I can definitely see why there is so much support behind this. Restaurant and liquor store owners can lose their entire business because employees are not able to differentiate between real and fake licenses from other states. I went on spring break shortly after the new Mass licenses were released and was pretty upset when I tried to get into a bar and the huge book full of the different licenses had the old picture in it and I was denied. The only bad part would be people are so good at making these fake licenses that even scan, having one uniform license would likely be even easier to duplicate. I still wouldnt be suprised to see this pass.