Thursday, April 16, 2009

Who's to Blame?

Having spent some class this week discussing the true roots of politics, I am still extremely interested as to where political belief is structured. Family lives as well as education were considered the primary sources of belief, yet should there be a greater effort put forth in hopes of creating a more educated voter and participant in the political system. Are those new registered voters just as worse as a radical or an idealist who have tunnel vision to other outlooks of the spectrum?
The newly registered voters are much defined as being undeclared and especially under educated with respect to government and its role. As I had stated in class, I was completely unaware as to what foreign aid and policy was as of two years ago being nineteen and twenty years old as a registered voter. I am somewhat upset with the lack of involvement I have been accessible to throughout my adolescence years. Having taken only a general civics course as well as a few American history classes, it was never clearly spelled out just how exactly our system of government plays out with the rest of this world; something that was under minded throughout my youth. Having a special interest in the market and its position, I would have never been able to see most of the connections with U.S. government and the rise and fall of the stock market on a daily basis if it weren’t for three years of college education.
Being that schooling, especially at the college level, is becoming extremely expensive, how are those who don’t move on to additional schooling going to become involved with our political system? From what we have learned up to the University level on average is subpar to those who live and breathe politics each and every day. Although the system somewhat wants only an “elite” group involved in the political spectrum, all others have a right and duty to become involved with the free market, capitalist system we have created here in the United States.
Those who feel confused, misinformed, or left out in politics; don’t take it personally. Our schooling must be changed in a way that gets people prepared for at least a minimum involvement in politics. A general understanding of the right and left wings of the spectrum would create a stronger, more educated voter turnout that would strengthen expectation and demand the best of the best for our Chief Executive and Opinion leader. Our future here in the United States as a dominate country lays in the youth that will carry our country on for generations to come. We must consider revising our education program to create a better rounded citizen of the United States of America.

2 comments:

K.Milligan said...

I agree that our school systems need to start incorporating some classes that get the students involved with politics at an early age. Obviously not everyone is going to enjoy politics but we need to give these students an opportunity to learn and realize what politics actually are, and then let them decide if they will continue there education involving them or not. There are a lot of younger individuals as well as people in college who have no idea what is going on in the political world and it is kind of sad. More people need to be aware of what is going on and we need to change that!

wtowle said...

I also agree that our school systems need to start incorporating some classes that would get the students involved with politics at an early age. Yes there are a lot of younger individuals as well as students in college that have no idea what is going on in the political world. And what’s even worse is they don't understand the huge effect politics and government will have on their lives.
Just like you said I too had no idea about politics and government until I started taking classes in my major. And I am still working very hard to understand it all. Had I not chosen my major I would never had the opportunity to learn about politics and government.
I think that early in age students need to learn about the right and the left spectrums, politics, and the role our government plays in the world. I also think that colleges and universities should require that one of everyone’s general education classes be a political science/ government class. I believe this because I can’t tell you how hard is to tell my friends what I learned in class. They seem confused or don’t seem to care because they don’t think it will affect them.