Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Immigration Reform

Hello All,

Now I am not an expert on immigration reform what so ever, nor can I consider myself fully updated to the current stance proposed by Boehner and the Republicans. With that being said, I am writing this blog post to become more informed on the current positions on both sides of the political system (Democrat and Republican). So if there are any experts on this subject please comment after the post to add more information, thanks.

So it seems that the issue on immigration reform is back as a hot topic in the political world. From what I have read, the current Republican House members as a whole are looking at "a mass deportation of 'illegal' immigrants" with numbers reaching 11-12 million. Deportation would be a result of a person without citizenship in the U.S. not meeting the standards of being a legal citizen proposed by Mr. Boehner. If I understand correctly, "DREAMERS", or children of illegal immigrants, would be safe under the proposed legislation which is certainly a plus. But looking at this in the sense of our country being built by immigrants seems silly when considering what some are proposing. If a said "illegal" person passes the standards to become a citizen (not unrealistic standards) they should be able to have the chance to become thriving members of our economy legally. Not to mention even though these citizens of America are looked at as legal they still contribute to roughly $600 million in taxes each year.

Now I understand that the way I am presenting this information is rather broad but that is because I am searching for more information on the topic. So I am asking the class here, what is your stance on immigration reform? Do you know any additional information on this topic that I did not elaborate on? Please feel free to put in your opinion I am not offended easily. Thanks

Zach

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/03/12/rubio_immigration_reform_unlikely_under_obama.html

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/01/republicans-and-immigration?zid=309&ah=80dcf288b8561b012f603b9fd9577f0e

6 comments:

Unknown said...

These two demonstrations of the push for immigration reform are both very valid and just.

For me immigration is a slippery slope. Due to the fact my parents were illegal immigrants for many years but are legal as of only 2007. aside from my parents i have many other family members who are illegal . With this my home views conflict with my political views. I'm a registered democrat but see myself swaying more towards and independent voter. It may seem odd but I would push myself to be an Conservative Democrat which has some severe differences from my family. Even with my family involvement in illegal immigration i think immigration should be severely sanctioned and regulated.

Unknown said...

I see Illegal Immigration as a mute point Zach. Based upon the statistics it seems that approximately the same number of people are leaving America illegally as entering illegally. While I think there are reasons that we would want to discourage undocumented people, I don't think its a major issue at this time.

Zach Stephenson said...

Lief,

Although I respect your opinion, I would have to disagree on the point you are making that it is a mute point. Young undocumented citizens are at some points struggling because of the current laws regarding illegal immigrants. How do you leave the country illegally? Im interested..

Zach

Valtron said...

Immigration is a topic/issue that is near and dear to my heart. I too have family who were undocumented for years. My sister in law is from Ecuador, and while she came here legally with a visa, she allowed it to lapse and then was undocumented for close to ten years. Being from Arizona I grew up around many undocumented citizens, many of whom were my friends. I had friends would now be considered "Dreamers". Dreamers are not just necessarily children of undocumented people, but many are undocumented themselves. So many children were brought to the U.S. by their parents in hopes to provide a better life for them and their family, much like the majority of citizens' and their ancestors of this country.
Clearly immigration is an immensely complex topic that can not be summed up as are you for or against immigration. I also understand that different regions deal with different aspects of immigration. For instance Arizona and the Southwest has a different history than that of the Northeastern Region. Arizona has such a rich history of immigration, many times encouraged greatly by the government itself. This was mainly due to farming and building of railroads and such. Also we can't forget that Arizona, not that long ago was in fact Mexico. My sister's boyfriend's family was actually greatly affected by the annexing of that region. His family who had been there for generations were now illegal on their own land and lost many rights.
Another point that I would like to make, is that many families that have been deported, so many of who under the Obama administration, have either had to leave their children behind or take their children with them to a country that these children probably have never seen nor do they consider home.
We can give anecdotes for days, but no get to the heart of what needs to be done. So like I said earlier immigration is a very complex issue which affects everyone whether it be directly or indirectly. Each region has its own issues related to immigration. Over all I don't think this is an issue that you can either be against or for, nor do I agree that immigration is a moot point. I agree there needs to be reform, it is just a matter of what and how.

Valtron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

yeezy boost 350
yeezy boost 350
michael kors outlet online
yeezy boost 350
michael kors factory outlet
yeezy boost
adidas superstar
adidas yeezy
lacoste outlet
cheap jordans