Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Internet Memes and Attack Ads

I wanted to make my first post on the John Oliver video, but I think the video is too old now. Also, I've watched it three times; once by myself, again with my mom, and a third time with a friend. They have very different political views, and I think my analysis/review would be too skewed and ranty now. I will say, I think the video is well put together and its worth the 20 minutes watch time (like I said, I watched it three times, which equals an hour). Although I will also say, I don't know how factual the information is because I didn't fact check. I'm one of those people who recommends a 20-minute without knowing the validity behind it. It's not that I don't want to fact check, it's just... I don't have enough hours in a day to google everything I read on the internet (and okay, maybe I also don't want to... just a little bit). If I don't want to check the facts, as a person in college studying politics, what makes any other average person motivated to check?

With social media playing a bigger role in this election than ever, there is A LOT of information flying around. Facebook LOVES memes. Check out these I found just scrolling through my newsfeed today:





Some of them had over 100,000 shares and thousands of comments. Most found images are targeted at Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. Some of these images (not the ones above) are helpful infographics to get information spread quickly but others sadly most informed. It is easy to spot out the false ones if you have been paying attention to the world around you. Others are less obvious and require some research. It is real easy to assume pretty pictures with facts and numbers are true. The question is, are these "memes" hurting the political system?

Attack ads are nothing new to campaigns. Remember the Daisy Girl ad? The Huffington Post in 2014 published an article written by Christopher Lamb, believes these types of ads bring humor to a usually dark subject. Like I said, here in 2016, the internet loves images. While yes, they are funny sometimes, but it's unprofessional and demeaning to how serious the presidential campaign is. On the other hand, are these memes and images bringing more people into the political world? Attack ads on TV are paid for... with money. Making an image then posting it on the internet costs nothing and anyone can do it. Anyone can share or comment on them. Ideas and opinions are spread so rapidly because we can like and share things instantly. Sharing images and ideas allow people to be connected to the campaign. However, those connections are not always beneficial to the knowledge of the voter or the integrity of the candidate. 

Webpages mentioned/inspired by:



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah I completely agree with these. The memes reminded me of one on Facebook I keep seeing of Donald Trump and a quote from him in People magazine from 1998. To paraphrase the quote, he basically said if he were to run for President he would do so as a Republican because they're morons and he knows how to manipulate them for votes. It turns out the quote was completely false, yet I still see people sharing it over Facebook. It shows me that a lot of people don't fact check these memes, and since Trump is such a character, people read quotes like that and assume it to be true.

Unknown said...

I love the fact that this blog is about all of the Memes, as they are creative and mostly hilarious. I also agree that you put in that most that you see on your feed are mostly about Trump and Clinton- the two front runners. I think that the publicity good or bad that are brought about by memes and pictures are only resulting in more popularity for both candidates. I have heard that "all publicity is good publicity" and through this election cycle I can definitely see why that is the truth.

Another interesting point you make is about fact checking, its true, we are all in the major most likely to fact check, yet we are too lazy (I am too most of the time, why I dont post anything). When things are fact checked it seems way too orchestrated and doesnt even sound like the truth either, that or its so party line its almost disgusting. It really is hard to find middle of the aisle news and stories these days, and I think that is our downfall.

Unknown said...

It's funny to see how many people's political knowledge today, stems from social media, and MEMES! Back in the day we use to have to actually read the newspaper, or watch the news. Now, our political foundation can be based upon short tweets, and captioned pictures of political candidates. I appreciate the use of your pictures in your blog post, it was very humorous. Very curious to see what the basis of our political knowledge will come to be in years down the road.

Unknown said...

You make a good point in saying that social media, like these memes, are allowing people to be more connected to the campaign. Today people all over the world and all ages use social media for many things and this election is no different. I think people, especially younger people, take to social media to spread their ideas and beliefs, whether is it Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. It is good to see that people are excited about the election and trying to get involved, but sometimes they are doing it in a wrong way. Like you said, so many people do not fact check and sometimes people can be sharing a post that is completely false and they have no idea. They share it because it is something they want to believe or they want others to believe it too or they have no idea that it is wrong and they just assume it is right. This creates misconceptions and false advertising. It also creates opinions that are incorrect because they start to believe the false information that they see. I think social media can connect people to the campaign, but it also creates many misconceptions.

Unknown said...


I really enjoyed this blog about internet memes and attack ads. I agree how such a large amount of the Memes are misinformed and it is sad how some people within the United States read them and believe that they are factual. But, as you mentioned attack ads are nothing new to campaigns and the people voting and seeing these ads simply need to know what is real and what is not. The change that has occurred within campaigns is so drastic as Kevin mentioned above. People used to read news papers and watch the news, now they simply log on social medias and see pictures with sometimes crazy sentences on them and automatically believe they know what is occurring within politics.

Stephen said...

I agree with the article, people should get their news from other sources, preferably with facts that have been checked. I know I am one to think that what I see on any old website is true until stop myself and think, would the BBC write like this?

Unknown said...

yeezy boost 350
hermes belts for men
longchamps
adidas nmd
michael kors factory outlet
huaraches shoes
longchamp outlet
lacoste outlet
air max 2017
roshe shoes

raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap jordan shoes
ralph lauren
cheap ray bans
gucci sito ufficiale
miami heat jersey
michael kors handbags
nike huarache
coach
carolina jerseys
michael kors outlet

chenmeinv0 said...

vans outlet
nhl jerseys wholesale
pandora charms
adidas shoes
oakley sunglasses outlet
fitflops shoes
adidas yeezy boost 350
ralph lauren outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
michael kors bags uk
chenyingying2017411

jeje said...

xiajinyi
Les casquette nike femme asos sacs à dos sont également disponibles en différentes tailles. air jordan future low rouge Dans l'ensemble avec porter des chaussures Nike air jordan femme fine Air Jordan rend une femme confortable. L'entreprise air jordan 5 quai 54 black présente des baskets athlétiques spécifiques pour chaussure nike pegasus homme des activités d'athlétisme variées telles que le asics gel lyte 5 femme beige baseball, le football, le tennis, le nike roshe run pas cher femme basketball, le golf, le football, la natation, etc. asics femme gel lyte courir

Unknown said...

web go to this web-site check over here Louis Vuitton Dolabuy you can look here helpful site